Cultivating a grateful heart isn’t always an easy task. Life is hard. It crashes into us in waves of both good and bad. When all is good, it’s a little easier, but we all know that when life hurts, being thankful doesn’t come naturally.
But you know what?
When it doesn’t come naturally is the precise time we need to be about the business of digging in and intentionally keeping our gratitude alive!
That’s Because gratitude is a fierce weapon!
It’s a weapon against what the enemy wants to use to destroy us. He wants us to give in and give up. He wants us to sink into hopelessness.
But if we are relentless about noticing all that is still good the enemy will not have his way. If we keep looking toward Jesus, our Redeemer, the flame of hope within us will not be consumed by hopelessness. Jesus will pull us through the darkest of waters. He will walk with us until we can claim victory over the darkness.
A few days ago, as part of our Grateful Heart Series, I gave you 10 Practical Ways to Cultivate Gratitude in Your Home. If you haven’t already, make sure to stop by to read and apply them to your home to help your family cultivate a grateful heart!
Today, I want to give you 10 powerful Scriptures to use as ammunition as you fight against negativity and amp up the gratitude living in your heart. God’s Word is the answer to all things. He has given us His Word as a personal love letter, a historical guide, and a compass to direct our hearts. In Him and in His Word, we find our answers.
Armor Up with These 10 Memorable Bible Verses for a Grateful Heart
1. The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. -Lamentations 3:23-24 (NLT)
2. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -Colossians 3:15-17(ESV)
3. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. -1 Thessalonians 5:15-18(ESV
4. First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. -1 Timothy 2:1-4(ESV)
5. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. -James 1:2-4(ESV)
6. So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. -James 1:16-17 (NLT)
7. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. -Psalm 107:1 (NLT)
8. I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. -Psalm 9:1 (NLT)
9. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagles. -Psalm 103:1-5 (ESV)
10. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. -Colossians 2:7 (NLT)
God always does the unexpected as we follow Him. As we prayed and planned for this series with you in mind, God had us in mind. This week is one I will not forget and today as I share the power of God’s Word, my heart flows with even deeper gratitude. Gratitude for friendship – for sisterhood – and for His love that never lets go of us.
Want to catch up on the Grateful Heart Mini-Series?
Series introductions from Marva and me.
Practical Advice: 10 Ways to Cultivate Gratitude in Your Home
Scriptural Resource: 10 Memorable Bible Verses for the Grateful Heart
Bible Verses, prayer, encouragement, and your free gift: Thanks in all Circumstances: Are You Sure, God?
Take the Next Best Step Toward Gratitude!
Are you ready to live with more gratitude and deepen your faith walk? There is no better time than right now. Just sign up below to take the 21-Day Biblical Gratitude Challenge! It’s of no cost and will walk you step by step to a grateful heart by knowing God through His Word. Plus, you get access to my Library of Hope which is stocked with helpful resources to help you grow in faith.
Our Surrender to God Story
My book, Surrendered Hearts, is Selah’s adoption story, but it’s more. It’s God’s story of showing us He never leaves. And it’s a story that shows exactly how surrendering changed everything for us. It was the breakthrough that helped us move forward and then opened the doors to God’s version of how the story should go. Through it, we learned so much about a grateful heart. I think you will, too.
Want more information? The Surrendered Hearts website is HERE! You’ll find the Book Video Trailer and other goodies like sharable images, tweets, and a set of FREE Bonus Resources for the adoptive parent or for anyone needing a little extra encouragement in life!Get your absolutely FREE set of Bonus Resources for the adoptive parent or for anyone needing a little extra encouragement in life! #SurrenderedHeartsBook #adoption Click To Tweet