13 Bible Verses About Gratitude That Will Change Your Heart
Bible verses about gratitude fill the pages of the Bible. It wasn’t a theme God went light on. Therefore, it signifies gratitude is something crucial to our faith walk and to living victoriously. Gratitude is a powerful weapon against defeat as are the very Bible verses about gratitude. Gratitude also breathes life into the characteristics we all desire in our lives.
What Happens When Gratitude Isn’t In Our Hearts?
Our natural tendency as humans is to want more. Consequently, we become immune to what we have and look to a “more” that we erroneously believe will fill those missing gaps in our lives and our hearts.
We can look back to the very beginning of time – to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. God created them and even gave them paradise. They had only one rule and that was to not eat from one specific tree — the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He told them that eating its fruit would bring them death.
But along came the serpent with his lies that always only lead to destruction. He told Eve she wouldn’t die if she ate from the tree. But instead, her eyes would be opened so she could be like God, knowing both good and evil. And with that, she was convinced.
“The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too.” -Genesis 3:6 NLT
So there it is — the “want” that rises up within us.
Eve had paradise, yet she wanted more. She wanted God’s wisdom. And even though God had warned her, she chose to believe a serpent over the God who had created her with and for a purpose.
So how do we curb that desire for more that rises up within us? How do we know when it is a healthy more that leads us to our purpose? Or when it’s a deceiving kind of more that leads us to destruction and defeat?
Knowing the difference comes from knowing God.
It takes keeping ourselves in check and filtering our wants through the Word of God. When our want of more conflicts with God’s character or His Word, we know our “more” is one of destruction.
Above all, gratitude is a tool God has given us to fight the more of destruction. Gratitude gets our hearts right with God and aligns our thoughts with His will. It makes us remember and breathes life into the things that lead us to our God-given purpose.
Gratitude breathes life into:
So, let’s get started right where God tells us all about a grateful heart — in the Word of God!
13 Bible Verses About Gratitude That Will Change Your Heart
Gratitude Through Peace and Contentment
1. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.-Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
2. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. -Colossians 3:15 NLT
Gratitude Through Generosity, Selflessness, and Sacrifice
3. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. -2 Corinthians 9:11 NIV
4. And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” -Luke 22:19 NIV
Gratitude Through Hope, Joy, and Perspective
5. I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done. I will trust in your good name in the presence of your faithful people. -Psalm 52:9 NLT
6. Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NLT
7. This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. -Psalm 118:24 NLT
8. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. -Colossians 3:17 NLT
9. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:12-13 ESV
Gratitude Through Prayer and Worship
10. Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. – Hebrews 12:28 NLT
11. I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. -Psalm 9:1 NLT
12. Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. -Colossians 4:2 NLT
13. Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. -Psalm 106:1
There are so many more Bible verses about gratitude. Tune in next week for 10 more! And by the way, if you are up for a challenge, join me for my free 21-Day Biblical Gratitude Challenge right here!
A Prayer for Gratitude
I pray these Bible verses about gratitude settle deep into your heart and change your life for the better.
More From the Series!
Here you can find each hope-filled post to add to your collection of inspirational Bible verses and prayers!
Have you read our story of surrender?
Learn more about what living a surrendered life looks like! I share our God-story in my book and help you envision what your surrendered life could look like, too. God has written a unique story for each of us. What is yours?
Purchase the Surrendered Hearts book on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, ChristianBook.com, and Redemption Press.
Finally, have you joined thousands of others as they break free of insecurity and live a life of joy, hope, and peace?
To make changes in our life, we must make intentional choices. For example, consistently filling our lives with positive life-giving content is one such step in the right direction. I desire to help you with those steps. So, after subscribing, you’ll receive an email giving you the password to the resource-filled Library of Hope!